MidNight DayDreams
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum For All Lovers Of The Night

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to the site. Hope you have fun and please feel free to ask a question!!!
We are going to start voting for who you think should be artist of the month!!! THE FIRST ONE IS HERE!!!
BRITT HAS A NEW ROLE PLAY UP IN THE MATURE SECTION!!! If you are in that group please join. She loves people Forbidden Knowledge
Latest topics
» Before, Me, Next
Tim Burton I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 6:28 pm by KarenaTheFreak

» Keyboard Smash Game (fun!)
Tim Burton I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 6:27 pm by KarenaTheFreak

» Shadow Falls Series
Tim Burton I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 6:25 pm by KarenaTheFreak

» Lenobia's Vow
Tim Burton I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 6:21 pm by KarenaTheFreak

» Dargon's Oath
Tim Burton I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 6:19 pm by KarenaTheFreak

» Destined (9th book)
Tim Burton I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 6:18 pm by KarenaTheFreak

» Awakened (8th book)
Tim Burton I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 6:17 pm by KarenaTheFreak

» Linda and John Heffer
Tim Burton I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 6:15 pm by KarenaTheFreak

» Sylvia Redbird
Tim Burton I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 6:14 pm by KarenaTheFreak

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Role Player of the month!
Tim Burton Questionmark This is going to be the top role player of the month chosen by the members of the site.
Writer of the month
Tim Burton Questionmark This is the top Writer of the month. Chosen by the members.
Artist of the month
Tim Burton Questionmark This is the top artists of the month. Chosen by the members.
Statistics
We have 55 registered users
The newest registered user is daejodea

Our users have posted a total of 1766 messages in 276 subjects
Top posters
Baby Girl
Tim Burton I_vote_lcapTim Burton I_voting_barTim Burton I_vote_rcap 
KarenaTheFreak
Kix
Angelicwolfchild
Soupkan.Kid
Shanchii
Emo Kitty
Nami
Vitani <3's Stark
katwin
ADMINS AND MODS!!!!
Tim Burton I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 9:59 pm by Baby Girl
Of course we all know i am the Admin, but i want you to also know who are the mods (aka Empress' Council)

Rosaline is a mod as well as a site artist she is in charge of varyious parts in the site.

we are in need of more …

[ Full reading ]
Comments: 13
Rank System
Tim Burton I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 11:48 pm by Baby Girl
So right now this is what i have as the rank system for the site. just on amount of posts. If you have an ideas please let me know in here. ((of if its in the wrong order))

Empress

Empress' Council

Serf 0

Peasant 25

[ Full reading ]
Comments: 30
How To........
Tim Burton I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 5:17 pm by Baby Girl
Okay, so i have noticed not a lot of people know how to make the pictures for their avatar and signatures...

AVATARS: you can either pick what the site has to offer OR you can upload on from your computer... what is best …

[ Full reading ]
Comments: 1
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Tim Burton

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Baby Girl
Empress
Baby Girl

Character sheet
Name : Dani
About Me::

Tim Burton Empty
PostSubject: Tim Burton   Tim Burton I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 8:18 pm

Tim Burton Tim-burton-by-hoffman

Timothy Walter "Tim" Burton (born August 25, 1958) is an American film director, producer, writer and artist. Since directing his first feature, Pee-wee's Big Adventure, in 1985, he has gone on to direct and produce numerous films, many of which have won Academy Awards. He is famed for his dark and quirky-themed films, such as Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands and The Nightmare Before Christmas, and for his blockbusters, including Batman, Batman Returns, Sleepy Hollow, Planet of the Apes, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He frequently works with close friend Johnny Depp, musician Danny Elfman, partner Helena Bonham Carter and various others.

Burton's most recent film was 2007's Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, which won the Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy. His most recent production is the Shane Acker animated sci-fi fantasy 9, a co-production with Timur Bekmambetov. His next film Alice in Wonderland is due for release March
Back to top Go down
http://midnightdaydreams.heavenforum.com
Baby Girl
Empress
Baby Girl

Character sheet

Tim Burton Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim Burton   Tim Burton I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 8:26 pm

How He Started

Burton grew up in Burbank, California. Burbank was typical of 1950s American suburbia, a world in which the shy, artistic Burton was not quite in step with the happy, popular people surrounding him. He was not particularly good in school, and was not a bookworm. Instead, he found his pleasure in painting, drawing, and watching movies. He loved monster movies: Godzilla, the horror films from Hammer Film Productions, the work of Ray Harryhausen. One of his heroes was actor Vincent Price. Tim Burton would make short films in his back yard using crude stop-motion animation techniques, or shoot them on 8 mm film without sound. After graduating High School he attended the California Institute of the Arts.

1980's Starting Career

n 1982, Burton made his first short, Vincent, a 5:52 black and white stop motion film based around a poem written by Burton, and depicting a young boy who fantasizes that he is his (and Burton's) screen idol Vincent Price, with Price himself providing narration. The film was produced by Rick Heinrichs, whom Burton had befriended while working in the concept art department at Disney Studios. The film was shown at the Chicago Film Festival and released, alongside the teen drama Tex, for two weeks in one Los Angeles cinema. This was followed by Burton's first live-action production Hansel and Gretel, a Japanese themed adaptation of Grimm's tale for The Disney Channel, which climaxes in a kung-fu fight between Hansel and Gretel and the witch. Having aired once at 10:30pm on Halloween 1983 and promptly shelved, prints of the film are extremely difficult to locate, which contributes to the rumor that this project does not exist. In 2009, the short went on display in the Museum of Modern Art. Next was the live-action short Frankenweenie, starring Barret Oliver, Daniel Stern and Shelley Duvall (an early supporter of Burton's work).
Although Burton's work had yet to see wide release, he began to attract the attention of the film industry. Producer Griffin Dunne approached Burton to direct After Hours (1985), a comedy about a bored word processor who survives a crazy night in SoHo, which had been passed over by Martin Scorsese. However, when financing for The Last Temptation of Christ fell through, Burton bowed out of the project out of respect for Scorsese.

1990's

Edward Scissorhands
In 1990, Burton co-wrote (with Caroline Thompson) and directed Edward Scissorhands, re-uniting with Winona Ryder from Beetlejuice. Her friend Johnny Depp, a teen idol at the end of the 1980s due primarily to his work on the hit TV series 21 Jump Street, was cast in the title role of Edward, who was the creation of an eccentric and old-fashioned inventor (played by Vincent Price, in one of his last appearances on screen before his death). Edward looked human, but was left with scissors in the place of hands due to the untimely death of his creator. Set in suburbia (the film was shot in Lutz, Florida), the film is largely seen as Burton's autobiography of his own childhood in the suburb of Burbank. Price at one point is said to have remarked, "Tim is Edward." Depp wrote a similar comment in the foreword to Mark Salisbury's book, Burton on Burton, regarding his first meeting with Burton over the casting of the film. Edward is considered Burton's best movie by many fans and critics. Following this collaboration with Burton, Depp went on to star in Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street and Alice in Wonderland.
In 2004 Matthew Bourne came to Burton with the idea to turn the story of Edward into a ballet. In 2005, the ballet first aired. It has now toured the UK, the U.S., Canada, Australia and parts of Europe.

Batman Returns
The day Warner Brothers had declined to make the more personal Scissorhands even after the success of Batman, Burton finally agreed to direct the sequel for Warner Brothers on the condition that he would be granted total control. The result was Batman Returns which featured Michael Keaton returning as the Dark Knight, and a new triad of villains: Danny DeVito (as the Penguin), Michelle Pfeiffer (as Catwoman) and Christopher Walken as Max Shreck, an evil corporate tycoon and original character created for the film (similar to Superman III's Ross Webster). Darker and considerably more personal than its predecessor, concerns were raised that the film was too scary for children. Audiences were even more uncomfortable at the film's overt sexuality, personified by the sleek, fetish-inspired styling of Catwoman's costume. One critic remarked, "too many villains spoiled the Batman", highlighting Burton's decision to focus the storyline more on the villains instead of Batman. The film also polarized the fanbase, with some loving the darkness and quirkiness, while others felt it was not true to the core aspects of the source material. Burton made many changes to the Penguin which would be applied to the Penguin in both comics and television. While in the comics, he was an ordinary man, Burton created a freak of nature resembling a penguin with webbed, flipper-like fingers, a hooked, beak-like nose, and a penguin-like body. Released in 1992, Batman Returns grossed $282.8 million worldwide, making it another financial success, though not to the extent of its predecessor.

The Nightmare Before Christmas
Next, Burton wrote and produced (but did not direct, due to schedule constraints on Batman Returns) The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), originally meant to be a children's book in rhyme. The film was directed by Henry Selick and written by Michael McDowell and Caroline Thompson, based on Burton's original story, world and characters. The film received positive reviews for the film's stop motion animation, musical score and original storyline and was a box office success, grossing $50 million. Burton collaborated with Selick again for James and the Giant Peach (1996), which Burton co-produced. The movie helped to generate a renewed interest in stop-motion animation.
A deleted scene from The Nightmare Before Christmas features a group of vampires playing hockey on the frozen pond with the decapitated head of Burton. The head was replaced by a jack-o'-lantern in the final version.

Batman Forever
Burton did preliminary work on the third installment in the Batman film series, Batman Forever. However Warner Bros. executives, following the controversy of Batman Returns, sought to make the new film more mainstream and Burton agreed to hand the directing role to his friend Joel Schumacher, who reportedly got Burton's blessing. Michael Keaton was initially set to reprise his role as Batman, but he ultimately turned it down following Burton's departure from the project (reportedly turning down $35 million to stay on board once Schumacher was hired, which would have made him one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood), and he was replaced as Batman by Val Kilmer. Marlon Wayans was Tim Burton's choice for Robin but the role would go to Chris O'Donnell. Jim Carrey was cast as the Riddler (after Robin Williams turned down the part), Tommy Lee Jones was cast as Two-Face (after Billy Dee Williams's pay-or-play contract was bought out), and Nicole Kidman was hired to replace Rene Russo, who was cast when Burton and Keaton were still involved, as love interest Dr. Chase Meridian. Burton subsequently served as co-producer for the film, which despite mixed reviews from critics grossed over $350 million worldwide, but he left the franchise altogether afterwards.

James and the Giant Peach
In 1996, Burton and Selick reunited for the musical fantasy James and the Giant Peach, based on the book by Roald Dahl. The film starred Richard Dreyfuss, Susan Sarandon, and Jane Leeves to name a few. The film was mostly praised by critics, and was nominated for the Academy Award Best Music, Best Original Musical or Comedy Score (by Randy Newman).

Sleepy Hollow
Sleepy Hollow, released in the autumn of 1999, was a return to vintage Burton, with a supernatural setting, unique sets and another offbeat performance by Johnny Depp as Ichabod Crane, now a detective with an interest in forensic science rather than the schoolteacher of Washington Irving's original tale. With Hollow, Burton paid homage to the old horror movies from English company Hammer Film Productions. Hammer veteran Christopher Lee was given a cameo role. A host of Burton regulars appeared in supporting roles (Michael Gough, Jeffrey Jones and Christopher Walken, among others) and Christina Ricci was cast as Katrina van Tassel. Mostly well-received by critics, and with a special mention to Elfman's Gothic score, the film won an Academy Award for Best Art Direction, as well as two BAFTAs for Best Costume Design and Best Production Design. A box office success, Sleepy Hollow was also a turning point for Burton. Along with change in his personal life (separation from actress Lisa Marie), Burton changed radically in style for his next project, leaving the haunted forests and colorful outcasts behind to go on to directing Planet of the Apes which, as Burton had repeatedly noted, was "not a remake" of the earlier film.
Back to top Go down
Baby Girl
Empress
Baby Girl

Character sheet

Tim Burton Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim Burton   Tim Burton I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 8:29 pm

The New Millennium

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes was a commercial success, grossing $68 million in its opening weekend. The film has received mixed reviews and widely considered inferior to the first adaptation of the novel. One criticism was that the movie went for a more watered down "popcorn" feel than the dark, cerebral and nihilistic tone of the 1968 film. The film was a significant departure from Burton's usual style, and there was much subsequent debate about whether the film was really Burton's, or if he was just a "hired gun" who did what he was asked.[9] Burton reportedly clashed with the studio during the whole making of the film, once going as far as abruptly leaving the set for the day. There were also many reports about last minute changes in the movie. Despite the commercial success of the movie and an ending that clearly suggested the possibility of a sequel, there are no intentions from the studio or Burton to make another Apes movie. During the making of the film, Burton met actress Helena Bonham Carter, who would later become his partner.

Big Fish
In 2003, Burton went on to direct Big Fish, based loosely on the novel Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions by Daniel Wallace. The film is about a father telling the story of his life to his son using exaggeration and color. Starring Ewan McGregor as young Edward Bloom and Albert Finney as an older Edward Bloom, the film also stars Jessica Lange, Danny DeVito, Alison Lohman and Marion Cotillard. Big Fish received four Golden Globe nominations as well as an Academy Award nomination for the musical score by Danny Elfman. Big Fish was also the second collaboration with Burton and Helena Bonham Carter, who played the characters of Jenny and the Witch.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) is an adaptation of the book by Roald Dahl. Starring Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka, Freddie Highmore as Charlie Bucket and Helena Bonham Carter as Charlie's mum, the film generally took a more faithful approach to the source material than the 1971 adaptation, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, although some liberties were taken, such as adding Wonka's issue with his father (played by Christopher Lee). Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was later nominated for the Academy Award for Best Costume Design. The film made over $207 million domestically. The film had mixed reviews.

Corpse Bride
Corpse Bride (2005) was Burton's first full-length stop-motion film as a director, featuring the voices of Johnny Depp as Victor and Helena Bonham Carter (for whom the project was specifically created) as Emily in the lead roles. In this movie, Burton was able to again use his familiar styles and trademarks, such as the complex interaction between light and darkness, and of being caught between two irreconcilable worlds. Corpse Bride received an Academy Award nomination for Best Animated Feature Film.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter in the film: Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street
The DreamWorks/Warner Bros. production was released on December 21, 2007. Burton's work on Sweeney Todd won the National Board of Review Award for best director[10] and received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Director[11] and won an Academy Award for Best Achievement in Art Direction. Helena Bonham Carter won an Evening Standard British Film Award for her portrayal of Mrs. Lovett, as well as a Golden Globe nomination.
Johnny Depp was nominated for the Best Actor Oscar for the role of Sweeney Todd. Depp won the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Musical/Comedy, as well as the award for Best Villain as Todd in the 2008 MTV Awards.

In 2005, filmmaker Shane Acker released his short film 9, a story about a sentient rag doll living in a post-apocalyptic world who tries to stop machines from destroying the rest of his eight fellow rag dolls. The film won numerous awards and was nominated for an Academy Award. After seeing the short film, Burton and Timur Bekmambetov, director of Wanted, showed interest in producing a feature-length adaptation of the film. Also directed by Acker, the film was written by Pamela Pettler (co-writer of Corpse Bride) and starred Elijah Wood, John C. Reilly, Jennifer Connelly and Christopher Plummer, among others.
Back to top Go down
Baby Girl
Empress
Baby Girl

Character sheet

Tim Burton Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim Burton   Tim Burton I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 8:34 pm

The Future

Alice in Wonderland
The story is set 12 years after the original Lewis Carroll tale. Mia Wasikowska, the 19-year-old featured in the HBO series In Treatment and Defiance, was cast as Alice. The original start date was May 2008. Torpoint and Plymouth were the sets used for filming from September 1—October 14, and are set in the Victorian era. During this time, filming will take place in Antony House in Torpoint. 250 local extras were chosen in early August. Other production work resided in London.The film was originally to be released in 2009, but was pushed to March 5, 2010. Johnny Depp plays the Mad Hatter, Matt Lucas, star of Little Britain, is both Tweedledum and Tweedledee, Helena Bonham Carter portrays Red Queen, Stephen Fry is the Cheshire Cat, Anne Hathaway as The White Queen, Alan Rickman as the Caterpillar and Crispin Glover as the Knave of Hearts.
Recently, Tim Burton appeared at the 2009 Comic-Con in San Diego, California, to promote both 9 and Alice in Wonderland. When asked about the filmmaking process by an attendee, he mentioned his "imaginary friend" who helps him out, prompting Johnny Depp to walk on stage to the applause of the audience.

Future projects
Frankenweenie remake and Dark Shadows
Burton plans to remake his 1984 short film Frankenweenie as a feature length stop motion film, distributed by Walt Disney Pictures. He is also set to direct a film adaptation based on the television series Dark Shadows. Johnny Depp will portray Barnabas Collins as well as co-produce the film, and John August is currently writing the script. However, Dark Shadows will be pushed back due to Depp and Burton's commitments to other projects. During Comic-Con 2009, Burton confirmed that Dark Shadows will be his next film.

Personal life
Burton was married to a German-born artist for four years, whom he left to live with model and actress Lisa Marie. Marie acted in each of the films he made during their tenure as a couple, from 1992 to 2001, most notably in Ed Wood and Mars Attacks! Burton abruptly ended their relationship to enter into a new one with with Helena Bonham Carter, whom he met while filming Planet of the Apes. Marie responded in 2005 by holding an auction of personal belongings that Burton had left behind, much to his dismay Burton and Bonham Carter have a son, Billy Ray Burton, born October 4, 2003, and a daughter, Nell Burton, born December 15, 2007. Burton and Bonham Carter divide their time together in Los Angeles and London.
Close friend Johnny Depp is a godfather of Burton's son. In Burton on Burton, Depp wrote the introduction, stating, "What more can I say about him? He is a brother, a friend, my godson's father. He is a unique and brave soul, someone that I would go to the ends of the earth for, and I know, full and well, he would do the same for me."
Back to top Go down

Tim Burton Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim Burton   Tim Burton I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Alice In Wonderland:

Ok I went to go see alice in wonderland in 3D. From my experience the 3D wasn't any better then the regular. In turn I would rather go see it normally. The movie ended at 4 and my eyes still hurt way past 9pm that evening. The way it was made was wonderful and I strongly advise going to go see it. It truely is worth it to go see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tim Burton Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim Burton   Tim Burton I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tim Burton
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MidNight DayDreams :: Tim Burton :: Thought's of All His Work-
Jump to: